Who made your lipstick?


Just like Fashion Revolution encourages us to ask 'Who made my clothes', it's time we got to know who made our beauty products - and what's in them.

I sat down with Molly Dunkle, the founder and maker behind Brisbane-based makeup label Dunkle Authentic.

Yes, Molly hand-makes beautiful, photo-perfect lipsticks and hand-blends eight different shades of foundation!

"One of the most common questions I am asked is 'how do you actually manufacture lipstick?' which, to me shows how completely hidden this side of the cosmetics industry is," Molly says.

Molly Dunkle, the founder and maker behind Dunkle Authentic
"I hope to shine a light on this and invite transparency into both raw materials and manufacturing practices.

"When I worked for other brands, I disagreed with the number of “must-have” products I was told to use and sell. I found this created clutter, waste, and an unhealthy desire to have more, more, more.

"From this, my aspiration to create a company that instead inspired positive, feel good moments with makeup and skincare began."

With an environmental-chemist for a dad, Molly's household always had experiments on the go.

"From brewing our own ginger beer to mixing up batches of slime, Dad instilled in me a curiosity for how products are made," Molly says. 

"I continued with sewing, baking and jewelry making with my mom, and by age 12, I started making lip balm. My dad soon set me up with proper ingredients and equipment, and I started selling my products through local boutiques."

It wasn't long before Molly's obsession with natural, raw ingredients began - again thanks to her dad.

Amazing handmade lipstick by Dunkle Authentic 

"Soon after I started making lip balm, my dad gave me olive oil and beeswax as a Christmas gift. My love for natural products started, and I obsessively began researching raw materials," Molly says.

"The texture of raw plant oils, butters, and minerals is incredible. While my products now are completely vegan, the olive oil in my lipsticks nods to that first year of experimenting."

A Business Management degree and makeup artistry studies cemented Molly on her path to Dunkle Authentic, which officially launched in 2013.

With that penchant for experimenting, Molly is driven to continually better her business and create a brand that reflects her own ethics - most recently focusing on closing the loop with her packaging.

Hand-blended foundations in eight shades!

"With a love for natural fibers in textiles, I gravitate towards metal, glass, ceramic, and paper in packaging. The lipsticks were originally launched in gold plastic tubes but I've since found a supplier that creates the current metal tubes," Molly says.

"I experimented with glass bottles while developing the foundation, however the design was far from functional and ended up creating a daily mess!

"It’s a balancing act between long-term sustainability while keeping functionality in mind." 

"Thankfully in the meantime, I have partnered with TerraCycle for their recycling expertise," Molly says.

"In order to maintain professional quality and safety, it can be difficult to reuse and refill intricate makeup and skincare packaging. Working with TerraCycle, I can now work towards a closed circle with packaging manufacturing. 

"I am developing a system where my clients can post back their empty packaging - from any brand - using the same postage box, and I will ensure they are properly recycled instead of ending up in landfill. 

"Where ever possible, I source vintage display pieces including crystal jars, trays, and ceramic holders for my stockists and events. 

"I love that a treasure hunt also helps to reduce waste and adds an unexpected touch to my brand styling."

Dunkle Authentic's newly launched vegan makeup brush

So what advice would Molly give others wanting to launch a small business?

1. Work hard.

"The advice my brother gave me, a successful business owner in the San Francisco area, was simply 'work hard.'

"I find the constant stream of business advice can sometimes be overwhelming and distracting. Keep a simple priority list, and work through it. Thanks bro."

2. Celebrate.

"My boyfriend, also my handsome web designer and marketing guru, recently reminded me to slow down and celebrate how far my business has come. 

"While my studio space can sometimes feel small, in early 2013 I just had a tiny box of raw materials with a handwritten “dunkle authentic” scrawled across the front. A solo coffee date to let the wins soak in can work wonders."

You can find Dunkle Authentic products online at www.dunkleauthentic.com and select stockists around Brisbane.

I'll be watching this gorgeous brand grow!

-  Ash

Comments

Popular Posts