Mister Timbuktu: For conscious adventurers


"I’d rather not have a brand if I knew I wasn’t making the highest quality and most sustainable product I could." 

Introducing new outdoor adventuring label, Mister Timbuktu.

I first met Rhianna and her brand new label Mister Timbuktu at the Melbourne Finders Keepers last month - and I knew she was on to something.

With unique prints on a beautiful deep blue, I spotted the designs first. But it quickly became clear this was a new label firmly committed to sustainability - and they made things to wear while doing all the things I loved to do too, hooray!

Making the most of clear winter days in my Mister Timbuktu Botanical Crop Top - made using recycled plastic.
Launching just last month, Mister Timbuktu was born from Rhianna's love of the outdoors and hiking, combined with her frustration in the lack of outdoor-wear that looked good with minimal environmental impact.

"I studied Fashion Design at uni then started working for a small apparel company, and I was lucky enough to be there while they were transitioning their supply chain to become more sustainable," Mister Timbuktu founder Rhianna says.

"I learnt a lot about new fibres and innovations within the industry that were reducing environmental impact, in contrast to conventional fibres and processes. After a couple of years I took my knowledge and decided to focus on the my real passion - hiking and spending time outdoors - and decided to launch Mister Timbuktu."


All the garments are made using recycled plastic and Rhianna has definitely gone above and beyond in launching her crowd-funded brand, putting people and planet first with 20 percent of all profits going to charities.

READ: SWEAT ETHICALLY: 5 ACTIVEWEAR BRANDS FOR ALL VALUES

It always encourages me when I see new, small-scale brands spring up with an approach far better than many of their global counterparts.

"So many brands exist that are damaging the environment, taking advantage of workers and just generally chasing the bottom line to create profit," Rhianna says.

"I’d rather not have a brand if I knew I wasn’t making the highest quality and most sustainable product I could that eliminates unnecessary harm or damage to people or planet." 



"I believe brands have a responsibility to do what’s right, even if it’s more time consuming, more costly and requires consumer education I think it’s worth it."

Crowdfunding a new brand: What it's really like

"It was incredible to see people support the brand, to get amazing feedback that they love the brand vision and concept and they were happy to pay for product and not receive it for six months," Rhianna says. 

"That kind of support is crucial for success, not only financially but also for validation of concept and to create a community.

But it's not all smooth sailing. Rhianna's advice to others wanting to crowdfund their idea: take your time.

Mister Timbukte's debut crowdfunded range includes crops, leggings and
playful raincoats

"I would recommend to anyone considering crowdfunding to really dedicate a lot of time to research. Find out exactly how much you need to raise, taking into account all fees including the platform, card processing, taxes and shipping to ensure you can still manufacture your product.

"Research other successful campaigns to find out how they were successful, listen to podcasts about crowdfunding and plan an indepth amazing marketing strategy.

"I can’t wait to expand the range, bring in new products and more technical features and fabrics - ultimately the plan is to be the go-to brand for technical outdoors apparel that is more sustainably made.

Sounds like a great goal to me!

Feel good adventuring! All Mister Timbuktu garments are made using recycled plastic,
 and 20% profits go to charities.

Comments

Popular Posts