New kids on the blog: Faire Child



How do you take what you've learned about waste in the fashion industry to help kids connect more with the great outside? Why, you start a kids' outerwear company!

I've decided I definitely don't include kids' brands enough on Shift. Not being a parent myself means I'm naturally less exposed to the brands forging ahead with ethical, slow, responsible practices when it comes to stuff for our next generation of changemakers.

When I came across Faire Child I was instantly impressed - I loved that they were making it so easy for kids to get outside, get dirty and explore, all while wearing a waterproof, super cute get-up ethically made in Canada from recycled fabric.

I liked this interview so much with founder Tabitha that I've published it in its entirety. I hope you're as inspired as I am to go get adventuring!

Faire Child rain pants - no excuse to stay indoors! Image via Instagram

What is your background - what led you to start a children's outerwear company?

Before starting Faire Child I worked in luxury women’s wear. I was witness to how wasteful the fashion industry is, especially the luxury fashion industry. I knew it wasn’t sustainable and I wanted to be a positive force for change.

Since becoming a mother I have experienced firsthand the importance of outdoor free play and the positive impact it has on little ones.

"Through Faire Child I have been able to marry my mission of doing more good with protecting kids from the elements and providing them with the ability to get outside."

My hope for children wearing Faire Child outerwear is that they are able to play outside all day, whatever the weather. I was deeply inspired by early Forest Schools in Canada, such as High Park Forest School in Toronto, and how they improved the health and spirits of the children attending. I actually had Forest School students in my native Nova Scotia test and approve Faire Child designs!

Faire Child aim to get more kids outdoors more often. Image via Instagram

How did Faire Child begin - what's the timeline for the brand so far?

The idea for Faire Child began in April 2017. I discovered the fabric, made by German company Sympatex, through the Sustainable Angle Fashion Expo in the UK. Sympatex has taken advantage of the unique properties of PET and harnessed them into an amazing textile.

In May 2017 I found my way to the Vintage Showroom in the UK where I was impressed by vintage workwear patterns from the early 20th century. I took these workwear items which were thoughtfully designed to be worn outside all day long and designed miniature versions of them for today’s modern child to enjoy.

"Thus, these heritage workwear patterns were transformed into pieces for children to do their most important work in, that is, making and playing."

The development and pre-production for the collection was completed in September. In October, we launched our successful Kickstarter campaign and afterwards worked to finalise our production with our local production team here in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Our website went live and we started selling online in April of 2018.

You have a circular approach to your business and garments, using recycled fabric and implementing a take-back program. Could you have started a business without these ethics underpinning it - and why not?

Having a product that was designed with the end of life in mind was pivotal for me. I didn’t want to see the garments I made ending up with the millions of tonnes of textile waste - 15 million tonnes in the US alone - that enters our landfills every year. 

I am very inspired by the Cradle to Cradle design philosophy that encourages us to view waste as a resource. 

Faire Child garments being put to the test! Image via Instagram

Why do you think it's so important for kids to connect with the natural world around them?

It’s so important! Outdoor play has such a positive impact on children studies show that being outdoors boosts self esteem and confidence, physical and mental health and helps kids learn new skills and feel happier. 

"I also believe that the more our kids fall in love with nature the better stewards they will be of our earth." 

The book Last Child in Woods by Richard Louv is so eye opening on this topic.

What would you say to others wanting to launch an ethical brand?

It’s important to ask the hard questions. When you are working with a potential supplier you need to be asking about their certifications – whether that’s Oeko-tex and bluesign like we use or others that are internationally recognised. 

Get them to trace back through the supply chain so that you know where your product is being made, who is making it, where that raw material is coming from. The more information you get the better. If they can’t comply you should rethink working with them. In this way designers can put pressure on industry to start making positive change.

What's next for Faire Child?

We get so many requests to expand into an adult line so we are researching and looking into expanding our size range. We also have a new colour way that we will be releasing around October that we are very excited for!
Image via Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts