Shift switch: Plastic free safety razor

  
My experience switching to a safety razor - you won't want to go back to plastic either!

Our grandfathers would get a chuckle out of this.

Safety razors are yet another way we’re going back to the basics of generations past – only now it’s because we’re realising it’s a great way to reduce plastic waste and simplify.

An all-metal safety razor is all the gentlemen of generations past used to use – other than heading off to the barber! And, as I’ve heard, often daughters would sneak their dads’ razors too…

I knew it was only a matter of time and patience before my last disposable plastic razor head blunted and I could invest in a "handle for life".

My new shiny safety razor, a handle to last a lifetime!

And though I was already hankering to get my hands on one of these shiny metal beauties, I believe the most sustainable option is to use, wear out and make the most of the things we already own.

That’s probably THE most important part of a “low waste”, “zero waste” approach to life, and we should really try not to be drawn in by the matching, minimalist images we see of perfectly decluttered spaces (but oh, aren't those photos so dreamy..!).

Confession: I was scared to use a safety razor… at first.

Before getting my Parker unisex safety razor with a box of Astra Double Edge Razor Blades from Biome, I watched YouTube videos on how to use it (they’re out there!) and was expecting thick, super sharp razor blades that I’d fumble around trying to replace while cutting chunks out of my skin.

But I was so pleasantly surprised! The blades are super thin, flexy and easy to handle with two blunt sides to hold on to. My razor has a twist function at the bottom of the handle which opens the head for easy cleaning and blade replacement.

Shaving is a breeze too. Here are my tips:

Lather up.

Safety razors work best with a decent, creamy lather. I usually use one of my shampoo bars as they get more suds, but if you have a shaving bar or something thicker, go for it.

Go slower than you would with a regular, female-marketed plastic razor.

There’s only one blade to pick up your hair, and the weight and feel of the razor will take a couple of shaves to adjust to.

I picked up my Parker safety razor along with the new back-to-basics,
amazingly simple skincare range from Biome.
Jojoba oil, pink clay and orange hydrosol

Hold at roughly a 35-degree angle.
Not sure what this means? Watch one of those YouTube videos for the right way to hold it.

Let the weight do the work.

Made purely of metal, the razor is naturally heavier than a plastic razor handle, while still making it easy to hold and use. There’s no need to push down hard compared to other razors – just hold it lightly and glide slowly against the grain as usual.

Wash and dry straight after use.

This prevents the blades from rusting and blunting prematurely, and will allow you to get a longer life out of them. The handle itself should not rust, but it is always better to dry immediately and thoroughly.

What should you do with the used blades?

Safety razors aren’t completely without waste – but as the blades are removable and made from stainless steel, they can be recycled infinitely (yay for metal!).

So far I’ve been putting my used blades back in their thin paper and storing in an old mints tin with a seal-able lid. When there are enough blades in there I'd recommend contacting your council for the nearest recycling drop off point.

Here’s to getting a lifetime’s worth of use from this baby!

Have you used a safety razor before or are thinking of making the 'shift'? I’d love to hear what you think!

-  Ash

Comments

Popular Posts