How to go imperfectly plastic free



So maybe you're keen to reduce the amount of single-use plastic in your life as part of #PlasticFreeJuly. But now what?

With so much (let’s be honest) convenient plastic everywhere, and many people (myself included) sharing their look-at-my-zero-waste-life images, where the heck are you supposed to start? 

I'll tell you where: imperfectly. It’s a new month, and it’s not about getting it straight in one hit. It’s about making a start

If I can ask one thing of you this month it's to JUST BEGIN.

Last week I looked back through the photos on my phone to prepare for this month, knowing I had a heap of low-waste, plastic-free, sustainable-living ideas to help others along their journey (I’ve got a 'zero waste' photos folder on my phone 😉). 

One of the first photos I took after drastically reducing household waste!

I realised I have been living low-waste, consciously trying to reduce what I consume and throw “away” since 2016 - and I'm absolutely loving it! My slow transition to sustainable, ethical fashion began before this, but 2016 was the year I started shopping in bulk, transitioning to refill and really committing to reuse. 

I cringe looking at the photo of my single-use coffee cup sitting on a table in Central Park during my trip to New York the year before! But now? I have pledged that if I don't have my reusable cup, I either dine in or go without the takeaway this time. It's a great motivator to remember!

Above is one of the first photos I took of what ended up in the rubbish bin of a two-person household after one week - after much effort avoiding and diverting. I remember feeling pretty proud I had cut the household's waste down so much, with just a few pesky things I didn’t know how to divert from landfill yet. 

BUT this post is not about helping everyone get through July with just a handful of rubbish (although, that would be amazing). Cos I sure as heck didn't begin with that photo above!

Here's how to begin a transition to imperfect plastic free, without going insane!

Get the basics sorted - then keep them handy.

Ditch the plastic for a reusable water bottle. 

My insulated stainless steel bottle comes everywhere with me.
Plus by carrying your own you will always drink more water!

If you don't already have a water bottle at home, then invest in a good quality one that will last. I chose insulated stainless steel so I could have chilled water in all climates - and it is my best buddy!

It easily fits into my handbag or backpack, neatly into my car cup holder and it holds enough for a decent commute.

Ok, got water? Now bring it with you! Going to the footy? The movies? Commuting to work? Not even sure what the day will hold yet? Bring that bottle!

And if you don't tend to carry a bag, buddy up to someone who does.

C O F F E E 

...or drink of choice (I'm a real-chai girl these days).

My little reusable cup, good for so much more than just my chai!

It's strange, but some cafes still don't offer dine-in, washable cups (maybe consider voting with your dollar and avoiding those businesses...). Perhaps you're going to an event that only serves take-away cups.

Either way, a reusable coffee cup is handy for way more than just coffee.

I have used mine:
  • For hot drinks while flying - yep, another spot where you never get a real cup! 
  • For icecream (when I didn't want a cone or there wasn't the option)
  • To carry snacks and leftovers 
  • To bring my compostable scraps home 
  • For water when my bottle wasn't in reach
  • As a paper weight (just kidding... no but really)
  • To share with someone else who really wanted a hot drink.
You don't need to spend money here either. Bring a mug from home or wrap a jar with rubber bands.

Central Park, NYC in 2015. Before my waste journey really began!

Shop naked or with reusable bags.

So many countries have banned light-weight shopping bags now, but I still see those pesky rolls of produce bags almost everywhere. 

It might seem like you're doing the check-out person a favour by bagging those apples, but really they can handle putting them on the scales naked, then bagging them in the large shopping tote you brought.



Consider making, upcycling or buying produce bags that don't weigh much. Forget your produce bags today? Grab a mushroom bag instead for smaller items, or just go naked for the bigger stuff!

Especially during Plastic Free July I would totally avoid any produce that comes pre-wrapped in plastic. I have asked many times if a store has any bunches of kale without plastic, or a whole pumpkin instead of the half already in cling wrap. So often they do, and they're happy to oblige!

Consider the cutlery.

I find this one has been the slowest to be adopted, but I promise you it's a cinch. 

My little animal cutlery set so light-weight and great for travel.

Like the other items, I keep my little wooden cutlery set handy in my bag all the time, ready to be whipped out if I'm eating from a food truck, or just want to hoe into that jar of nut butter on the way home.

I found mine at an op shop - they're little and travel friendly. But totally just bring your silverware from home! Wrap them in a cloth (or little produce bag, or scarf, or napkin, or hanky) and you're good to go.

BYO snacks container.

Another one that takes a bit of guts, and that extra level of organisation. But I promise, I've had only positive vibes whipping out my little tins and asking for food to be placed straight into them!

They're also handy to bring left overs home, to transport scraps for the compost, and to bring snacks in the first place.

Here's a neat formula: Pack some snacks from home > Eat the snacks. Get hungry again later > Get your food put straight into said snacks container. Eat, rinse and repeat.

Morning: BYO snacks from home in a little tin.

Later that day: get a new snack put straight into the same tin!

Kit it all up + keep it handy!

Grab a tote bag, chuck all this stuff in together and hang on your door/ put in your car/ keep it in your bag.

Bottle, cup, reusable produce bags, cutlery and container. Even just by using stuff you already had at home, you have managed to avoid some seriously prolific plastic - go you!

Stay tuned as I up the ante during Plastic Free July (if you're ready to take the next steps with me!): How to avoid plastic when you don't live near a bulk food store.

Whatever reusables you'll actually use, have them ready to go!


Comments

Popular Posts